Engineer - Manufacturing
Sidney, NY 13838
Pay Rate: Depending on Experience
Hours/Days: Monday - Friday 8: 00am to 5: 00pm
Candidate would have one hour unpaid lunch.
Basic Purpose: Provides technical expertise necessary to ensure efficient operations in electroplating. Develops and implements short term and long range processes and programs that effectively improve departmental delivery, quality, and budgetary goals. Plans coordinates, and implements new plating processes.This includes finish recommendations to meet customer requirements, engineering print approval, and the issue and maintenance of manufacturing layouts as well as plating specifications. Supervises or coordinates the work of technical people to meet departmental objectives. Interfaces with customers to solve field problems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiates and supervises programs related to metal and plastic and metal finishing programs. Generates metal and plastic finishing specifications and manufacturing layouts and consults with engineering and quality.
- Establishes and tracks required connector quality assurance testing weekly and monthly such as salt spray, tabor abrasion, corrosion of conversion coatings as defined by military and customer specifications, provides troubleshooting and failure analysis of plating finishes.
- Identifies and evaluates new plating systems for product improvement and cost reduction.
- Provides engineering support to customer inquiries as required.
- Reviews and revises existing processes and documentation to affirm validity.
- Coordinates corrective action for out of control events in production. Answers corrective actions and establishes procedures to correct manufacturing process defects.
- Provides immediate process/troubleshooting assistance to support team effort in meeting delivery and quality goals.
- Provides support to plating team in meeting safety and environmental goals.
- Works with support departments and outside vendors to design, adapt equipment to specific plating applications and requirements.
- Responsible for process documentation to insure successful qualification of new and existing processes.
- Responsible for documentation to support control of precious metal consumption.
- Provides assistance to Plant Engineering in areas of plating equipment design, calculations of ventilation requirements, and waste treatment requirements.
- Develops process flow diagrams for new/existing products and leads/participates in failure modes and effects analysis.
- Maintain current knowledge of industry standards.
Competencies: Mastery of metal finishing process and chemistry. Working knowledge of quality systems, process control, statistical analysis, manufacturing processing safety practice. Strong project management, structured problem solving with the ability to make ethical decisions, data analysis, working knowledge and application of SPC, ISO, and IPC standards. Understanding of military and NADCAP specifications and qualifications. Ability to work in fast paced environment, with attention to detail, ability to produce results and meet strict deadlines.
Education and Experience Requirements: Bachelors of Science degree in Chemical Engineering or related science. Required 3-10 years of electro-plating or plating experience in an R & D or process related position. Experience in a multi-faceted metal finishing operation that produces finished parts, ideally for Aerospace and Military connectors as well as industrial applications. Training in Lean manufacturing, Continuous improvement, and Statistical Process Control. Desired but not required are Six Sigma Green or Black Belt, American Electroplating and Surface Finishing Certified Electroplating -Finisher (CEF) certificate or AESF Foundation Master Surface Finisher (MSF).
Physical Requirements: Employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk and occasionally carry, lift or move up to 40 pounds. Must be capable of working in a chemical environment that contains hazardous material and/or solutions. Continuously required to move about the plating floor that contains close quarters. Occasional travel required. Exposure to shop elements such as noise, dust, fumes and temperature variations. Wear appropriate PPE equipment including eye and hearing protect and safety shoes
Additional Requirements: Must be eligible to work in the U.S.